Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Diuretic Soup?!

Ya, so my blood pressure was high last night and high again this morning.  I stayed home and kept a pretty low profile this morning, but my numbers were still high.  I went online and found several lists of diuretic and / or blood pressure lowering herbs and vegetables.  I picked out the ones I could have and that I had around the house.  Here's my "prescription soup!"  I served it with green tea and a side of pinto beans with some cheese for protein.  By this afternoon, my numbers were normal.  I can't say this would work for everyone, but it did for me; and I want to remember it for if it happens again!

Diuretic Soup
Makes 2 generous servings

Put 3 tablespoons coconut oil (or olive oil) in a saucepan.

Add
1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
2 stalks celery, 1/4" dice

Cover and cook the vegetables until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.

Add

2 small red potatoes, 1/2" dice
2 cups chopped cabbage
1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
1 teaspoon parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
4 cups home made broth

Cover and bring the soup to a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer it for about 8 minutes.  Just before serving, season it with

Sea salt, to taste

No comments: