Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Homemade Goat Milk Yogurt turned into Herb Cheese Dip!

I made homemade yogurt, which didn't turn out well.  I started with a half gallon of a bit "over-ripe" goat milk.  I learned from various sources around the net -- primarily www.westonaprice.org -- that raw milk doesn't become putrid like store-bought processed milk does.  It actually starts to become yogurt on its own.  So I decided to help the process a bit.  I used to make yogurt all the time years ago.  I added a full "cup" (container) of the Dannon Greek plain yogurt to my milk.  The first time I processed it in my Salton Yogurt Maker for a full 12 hours as normal.  I ended up with curds and whey.  It had too much cow milk in it for my family to use, so I started over.  I didn't have any yogurt to begin with, though, so I put about 1/4 cup of the whey into my quart of goat milk.  I only processed it about 3 hours, and it was ready.  


This second batch still wasn't the best consistency and was already breaking into curds and whey, so I strained it through a kitchen towel that was not "nappy."  I ended up with about 1/2 cup of yogurt "cream cheese."  It is similar to both chevre and ricotta cheese in taste.


I put the cheese into my mixer and whipped it up, then I seasoned it with 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper, 1/4 teaspoon dill, 1/2 teaspoon chives and about 1/4 teaspoon Adobo seasoning.  We dipped it with chips.  Oh my yum!! :p

No comments: