Saturday, January 05, 2008

"Cabesa" and Tongue tacos (Tacos de Lengua)

I don't have so many cooking failure stories... but I do have some funny "what I've eaten" stories. Particularly one stands out today:

I had just gotten off work. I worked at Mrs. Fields Cookies when I was in college -- it had the effect of making me lose weight rather than gain it because I got disgusted with the smell of cookies all day long! Anyway, went to my friends' home and his mom had been cooking something that smelled AMAZING -- I smelled it even before I entered their humble home. As I walked into the tiny kitchen, she was standing there, smiling and handing me a taco filled with some sort of "carne" -- it was exquisite!

In unison, they asked, "well, don't you want to know what sort of 'carne' it is?"

"No," said I, reaching my hand out for another taco.

"You don't want to know?" they all queried.

By this time I had some sort of funny feeling about this, but they knew I was willing to try just about anything as long as it wasn't blood. So, I finally said, "OK, what is it?" while happily munching down on my 2nd taco.

"Cabesa!" they all told me. ("Cabesa" means "head" in Spanish.)

"Oh, ok," I replied, asking for another taco. At this point they were all rather aghast that I didn't care. The only regret I have about those "cabesa" tacos now is that I didn't find out how to make them!

*****

Recently, I've discovered a local taqueria that has tacos de lengua (tongue tacos), which tastes pretty close to my friends mom's "cabesa" tacos. Right now, as I type, I have a big ol' tongue boiling in a pot. This is my first attempt. I also have a heart in there. I picked them both up on a whim for just a few pennies a pound. Hope the heart doesn't mess things up! Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes :)

Blessings,
Sharron, the hungry! :p

No comments: