Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Christ in Me! An article about healing, prayer and my faith...

Christ In Me!



I've been pondering I Corinthians 11:23-32 for probably 20 years or so now:

I Corinthians 11:23-32 (New International Version)

23For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me." 25In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me." 26For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.

 27Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. 29For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself. 30That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep. 31But if we judged ourselves, we would not come under judgment. 32When we are judged by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be condemned with the world.

It has always troubled me that “not recognizing the body of the Lord” causes believers to be “weak and sick, and number have (died.)” I've heard a few explanations, like it was because they didn't believe in the full giftings of the Holy Spirit, but that isn't what the Scripture says. It says “not recognizing the body of the Lord.”

The Contemporary English Version puts it so well: “29If you fail to understand that you are the body of the Lord, you will condemn yourselves by the way you eat and drink. 30That's why many of you are sick and weak and why a lot of others have died.” If I'd heard it put that way, I don't think I would have spent all these years having to figure it out! Because that is exactly what I have recently come to realize.



On Monday, March 16, 2009, at about 2am, the idea came to me fully formed – that “recognizing the body of the Lord” meant realizing that Jesus Christ lives in me and that I have the same power and authority that Christ had when he was on the earth. Scripture says that:

Mark 16:17-20 (New International Version)

17”And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well."

That section has also troubled me. Why is it that sometimes I can pray for people and they get well right away? Once when I was just out of college, I prayed for an old man who had clubbed hands. He said he was old and used to the way he was, but that he certainly wouldn't stop me from praying! I did so, and his daughter reported that he was completely healed the next morning! Other times, I pray for people and nothing happens. Also, I have suffered with much illness through my life and so have my children – especially my son. Not so much things like colds, but more like allergies and headaches – things that are nagging and don't really go away. Things that make us “weak and sick.”



So, that same we went into Vancouver, passing dozens of cell phone towers, power lines, etc. -- things that usually make Aaron and I “weak and sick.” I decided to claim “the Joy of the Lord is my strength!” and meditated on it every time I started to feel the effects of one of those things. I did just fine.



However, the next day, I was FLAT OUT. I had coughed so hard during the night that I blew out my back and I was so dizzy I couldn't even walk! That lasted for two days. We realized it was an attack the 2nd day of it and trusted the Lord for our healing.



Thursday I woke up at about 2am with the Holy Spirit urging me to start claiming some of this healing He's provided for me. He had me start with my deviated septum. The septum up inside my forehead was badly broken as was a small section down inside my nose. I hadn't had air-flow on the left side of my nose for probably 5 years or more? He had me visualize the broken areas moving back to where they belonged and using my finger-tips to gently move them back into place while speaking health and healing to my septum. It took several hours, but I now have air-flow on both sides of my nose! He also had me pray for my lower back and spine in general. I noticed more stability.



The next day, the Lord had me pray for my damaged nerves in my right leg and foot. I've had an area that was totally numb that wrapped around my right heel and went up the inside of my right foot towards my ankle, though not that high. After praying, I now have full pressure-sensation in my foot. There's a tiny spot, about the size of a dime, on the inside of my foot that doesn't have light-touch sensation yet, but it is very inconsequential. It is cool to be able to feel where I'm walking! Praise the Lord!



I spent most of last week just pleading for Aaron to be well. I've seen some improvement, but not as much as we need.



Last night, Sunday March 29, I was awake for hours. During that time, the Lord had me praying for my neck and upper back – speaking health and healing and restoration into them. He had me visualize scraping off all the arthritis from the bones, then moving the vertebrae apart and putting the disks back how they should be. He, also, had me speaking rest and peace into the muscles around my neck and upper back. That was really quite profound. I did notice a difference today. My shoulders would try to tense back to their normal position, but as soon as I realize it they relax back down to where they are supposed to be. My pain level is remarkably less.



I shared this with my accountability group at church last week and our leader, Myke, really connected with what I was saying. While doing the announcements this morning, he talked about several folks that he's prayed for this week and how the Lord is healing them. Praise the Lord!



April 6, 2009 – I saw Dr. Deary, the chiropractor, and Angela, the massage therapist last week. I told them about the healing I've been experiencing in my back. Both of them could definitely tell the difference in my back. The massage therapist said the knots and ridges that are usually in my upper back were not there at all. The chiropractor said she could feel the difference as soon as she touched my back. It is so cool to have objective proof of what God is doing in me!

Also, this morning I noticed that I have full sensation in my foot now. There is no longer any numbness.



I still have a ways to go... a long way... but I'm confident that God will bring me there!





Scriptural References:

23For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me." 25In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me." 26For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.

 27Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. 29For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself. 30That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep. 31But if we judged ourselves, we would not come under judgment. 32When we are judged by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be condemned with the world.

I Corinthians 11:23-32 (New International Version)



....the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. Colossians 1:27



Verses from my friends:

Helen O

Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and He delivered them out of their distress. Ps. 107:6

Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble, and He saved them out of their distress. Ps. 107:13

Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble, and He saved them out of their distresses.  Ps. 107:19

He sent His Word and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions. Ps. 107:20

Then they cry out to the Lord in their trouble, and He brings them out of their distresses.

He calms the storm, so that its waves are still. Ps. 107:29

Then they are glad because they are quiet; so He guides them to their desired haven. Ps. 107:30

Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weakness, For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought,

    but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Romans 8:26

Now, He who searches the heart knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for

    the saints according to the will of God. Romans 8:27

And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. Rom. 8:28



Proverbs 4:20 NIV " My son, pay attention to what I say; listen closely to my words.  Do not let them out of your sight, keep them within your heart: for they are life to those who find  them and health to a whole man's body"

 

Amplified: v22...."For they are life to those who find them, healing and health to all their flesh."

 

KJV v22 "For they are life to those that find them, and health to all their flesh."

 

Is. 54 v17 no weapon forged against you will prevail. and you will refute every tongue that accuses you.  This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord.

 

According to Vine's Complete Expository Dictionary Heal= therapeuo primarily signified "to serve as a therapon, an attendant,” then "to care for the sick, to treat, cure, heal"  It is chiefly used in Matthew and Luke, once in John 5:10 and after the Acts, only Rev 13:3 and 12.  (see cure)

 

Cure= iasis, "a healing , a cure" is used in the plural in Luke 13:32 in Acts 4:22 in 4:30 with the preposition unto.  Mat 17:16, 18, Luke 7:21; 9:1 John 5:10, Acts 28:9 (read the whole story here) and it says to see heal and worship. 

 


Proverbs 3:7 " do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil.  This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones."

 

Matt 9:35 Jesus ......healed every sickness and diseases. 

 

Gifts of the holy spirit: I Corinthians 12:28

 Prov 16:24 "pleasant words are a honey comb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."

 

Mark 16:17 KJV "And thee signs shall follow them that believe: In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; they shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them.  They shall lay hands on the sick and they shall recover."



Galatians 2:20 (New International Version)

20I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

1 John 3:24 (New International Version)

24Those who obey his commands live in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us.

Romans 8:9-11 (New International Version)

 9You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ. 10But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness. 11And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you.

No comments: