Saturday, November 13, 2010

Amazing mashed turnips! (Instead of mashed potatoes)

My kids and I don't tolerate potatoes well.  While not technically an allergy, we are very sensitive to them if we get too many.  Consequently, I don't make potatoes at all, and we don't eat them very often.  I've made mashed turnips before, but they really still tasted pretty "tur-nippy" -- emphasis on the "nippy" part!  The ones I did yesterday were not that way at all, though.  I didn't measure, but I'll try to give you my best guess-timate at what I did.


Amazing Mashed Turnips (instead of mashed potatoes)


Cut up 3 to 4 large turnips into 1" pieces.  Place them into a pot and cover them with cold water.  Add about 2 packets of Truvia sweetener* to the cooking water with a little salt.  Cover the pot and cook the turnips over high heat until they are tender enough to pierce with a fork.  Drain them.  Put the pieces into a food processor with a chopping blade.  Add about 1 tablespoon of lard, about 3/4 teaspoon Adobo All Purpose Seasoning**, 1 tablespoon goat's milk and salt.  Process the turnips until they are creamy.  Taste them and see if they need more seasonings.  Serve them hot, as you would mashed potatoes.  Serves 4.


*The sweetener is really important, and don't skimp on it.  I added more to mine as they were cooking because when I tasted a piece, they still tasted bitter.  Adding the sweetener to the cooking water takes out the bitter taste.


**I've recently discovered Adobo All Purpose Seasoning.  It is available in several varieties.  It is a nice, sugar-free, yeast-free, msg-free seasoning blend.  It is available in Asian markets, health food stores and Reasor's Grocery stores, (if you live in Oklahoma!)

No comments: