Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Egg Substitutes for allergy-friendly baking

I'm guessing there are other folks out there who would benefit from this list of egg-substitutes I have collected.  These are all for baking recipes.

My personal favorite is:
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed plus 3 tablespoons water, mixed together and allowed to rest a few minutes before adding them to the recipe.

Here are some more ideas:
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water + 2 tablespoons baking powder + 1 teaspoon "safe" oil (one you aren't allergic to)
1/4 cup applesauce + 1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 tablespoons water + 1 1/2 tablespoons oil (as above) + 1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
2 tablespoons tapioca flour

I've read that if you are allergic to xanthan gum, as I am, you can use arrowroot instead.  My guess is that tapioca starch (flour) or cornstarch would do the same thing.

I've, also, read that you can use a teaspoon of lemon juice + a teaspoon of baking powder instead of yeast.  Not too sure about that one.  I have not tried it.

No comments: