Saturday, December 25, 2010

Allergy-friendly Cornbread Stuffing Recipe

This is the Cornbread Dressing (Stuffing) Recipe I promised.  I served this same dish at Thanksgiving and our friends who can eat anything raved about my dressing!  It is free of wheat, dairy, eggs, soy and sugar, of course.


Allergy-friendly Cornbread Stuffing Recipe


Make one batch of Corny Cornbread prepared without the corn.  Allow it to cool completely.


Cook covered until translucent in a large skillet over medium-high heat


1 medium onion, chopped
Tops of one bunch of celery, chopped (about 2 cups)
2 tablespoons parsley flakes
1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon Adobo seasoning
Enough lard to keep the vegetables from sticking (~2 tablespoons)


Cool the vegetables while crumbling the cornbread into a large mixing bowl.  Pour the vegetables along with the juices into the bowl with the cornbread and add and mix well


1 tablespoon Adobo seasoning
2 tablespoons parsley flakes
3 tablespoons ground flax seeds*
1 1/2 tablespoons sea salt
1/2 tablespoon black pepper
2 tablespoons sage
1 tablespoon lemon juice
~1/2 cup chicken broth (or water)


The stuffing should have just enough moisture in it to hold together.  Stuff it into a turkey, bake and enjoy!


I suppose it could be baked in a pan in the oven, but I've not done that before.  If you do, let me know!


*We forgot to add the flax seeds when we made it this last time.  It worked out fine, but I think I prefer the texture with the flax.  Remember, it is the egg substitute, so it adds a bit of cohesion.

No comments: