Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Allergy-friendly Chicken Fried Steak with Country Gravy

Hello again!


We had this for dinner last night and it was soooo good!  I honestly think this is the best chicken fried steak I've ever made -- before or after allergies.  Of course, it doesn't have any dairy, egg, wheat or soy in it.  No sugar either!


I didn't write it down, but I think the method is simple enough.


I started with about 


2 pounds of cubed steak, cut into serving sized pieces
Sea SaltAdobo seasoning


I rinsed the steaks and seasoned them with the salt and Adobo.  I put them in a bowl and layered them as I was seasoning them.  Then I let them rest there for about 5 or 10 minutes while I was doing other preparations.  At that time, I sliced


1 medium sized onion

and set it aside.


In a dish with 2" sides (it was a square cake pan), I poured about


3 tablespoons goat milk
1 tablespoon ground flax + 3 tablespoons warm water


I combined those and set them aside.


On a plate, I put about 


2/3 cup flour mix
1/2 teaspoon paprika


and combined them.


One by one, I dipped the steaks in the flour, then the milk mixture, then back into the flour.  I placed them on a plate as I finished each one.  I had to add more flour and paprika while I was working.  When I was done coating the steaks, I put about


1/4 cup lard


into a large frying pan and melted it over medium-high heat.  I fried them a few at a time until they were golden-browned, about 3 minutes per side, adding more lard as needed to keep the depth of the fat at about 1/4" to 1/2".  As each was done, I placed it on a baking sheet.  When I was done browning the steaks, I placed them into a 350F oven while I finished the other preparations -- about 8 to 10 minutes.


I added a little more fat to the pan and put the sliced onions in, continuing to use medium-high heat.  I seasoned them with salt and Adobo and cooked them for about 8 to 10 minutes, until they were just becoming golden.  I removed them from the pan, being careful to keep as much of the cooking juices as I could in the pan, and placed them into a serving dish.  I moved the frying pan off the hot surface so it wouldn't scorch.


At this time, I removed the steaks from the oven and placed them onto a serving dish.  I scraped any of the coating that had stayed on the baking sheet into the frying pan and broke it up with my spatula.  I added about


1/4 cup flour mix


to the frying pan, which I had put back onto the hot cooking surface.  I cooked and stirred the flour until it was bubbly.  Then I poured in about


1/2 cup goat milk
1 cup water


and seasoned it with 


Sea Salt
Adobo seasoning
Black pepper


and cooked and stirred until it was thickened.  Then I put the gravy into a serving dish.


I served the steaks alongside 


Amazing Mashed Turnips

with the onions and gravy gracing all.


Yum!



No comments: