Thursday, December 23, 2010

Best Turkey Brine and Roast Turkey Recipe

Hi,


I've done this several times since last Thanksgiving (2009), but I never seem to get it posted into my blog.  Here it is now!  Of course, it is allergy-friendly, without dairy, soy, wheat, eggs or sugar.


I think this is without a doubt the best turkey I've ever had.


Best Turkey Brine and Roast Turkey Recipe


In a pot or other container large enough to hold the turkey plus liquid around it, combine 


1 cup sea salt
4 cups very hot water


Stir the water until the salt is dissolved.  Add


1 tablespoon Rosemary leaves
1 tablespoon Parsley flakes
1 tablespoon ground Sage
1 tablespoon thyme leaves


Put the turkey into the pot and cover it with cold water.  Refrigerate or chill in some manner -- I usually put mine outside since it is cold enough this time of year! -- covered for up to 3 days.


The day the turkey will be roasted, remove it from the brine.  Remove the giblets** from the bird and rinse all of it very well.  Place the turkey into a roaster and rub it down with olive oil and one tablespoon lemon juice.  Season it lightly with Adobo seasoning.  Stuff it with Cornbread Dressing ,(just click the link for the recipe), and turn it upside down, so the back is up.  


For a 15 to 18 pound bird, cook it uncovered* 


400F for 30 minutes, then
350F for 2 hours, then
225 for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until it reaches 170F in the meaty part of the leg joint or the leg pulls loose easily


I've noticed that when I brine the bird longer (full 3 days), it seems to cook more quickly.  Watch it the last hour or so!


If a browned breast is desired, turn the turkey over and bake it for a few minutes at 500F.  I really don't recommend this, though, because even just a few minutes turned under heat makes the breast less juicy.


*Another method for cooking a turkey is a roaster oven.  I got one this last year and I'll never go back to the old way again.  Follow the general guidelines above, just do it in the smaller oven with the lid.


**To make giblet gravy click here


Merry Christmas!



No comments: