Saturday, September 13, 2008

Salt & blood pressure & my regimine

Yesterday I had a lot of salt -- salted sunflower seeds, lunchmeat & soy sauce. I had carbs, but I think the salt was the bigger issue. My blood pressure was up 159/90 this morning and I was bloated again.

I took my apple cider vinegar, molasses, cinnamon & honey and also dug out a "natural water pill" I had in the drawer and took one of those. It has asparagus and other stuff in it. I tried to get more fruits and veggies into me and watched my "table salt" (not sea salt or apparently soy sauce -- they seem to be ok. It is the refined stuff that is bad!) All worked together because my blood pressure was down to 137/75 this evening again. Woot woot!

I fixed some delicious Barbecued Smoked Salmon this evening. Here's what I did:

I seasoned 1 salmon, filleted with lemon juice, Old Bay seasoning, my special seasoning salt, lemon pepper and dried minced garlic (fresh would have been great!)

My husband had the charcoals nice and hot and I put 4 sprigs of fresh Rosemary on the coals just before we put the fish (skin side down) onto the BBQ grilling rack.

I also had some fresh asparagus. The ends were snapped off and the stalks were sprayed with cooking oil spray. Then I generously seasoned them with my seasoning salt and lemon pepper. They went onto the grill at the same time the salmon did. Note: Be aware of which direction the slats are on the grilling rack! I accidentally lost a couple of asparagus because I put them on the wrong way -- Du-uh!!

Cook with lid closed.

The salmon was about 1" thick, so it was done very quickly -- about 15 minutes. We served it with tartar sauce. The tartar sauce is simply mayonnaise, chopped dill pickles, dried minced onion and lemon pepper.


It was all very tasty and nutritious too!!

Blessings,
Sharron Long
author of Extreme Lo-Carb Cuisine available where books are sold, CAdams Media & Sharron Long 2008