Saturday, May 23, 2009

A Poem for Memorial Day



In Loving Memory by Sharron Long 2009


They were noble men of valor

Loved by their comrades

Esteemed by their peers


They heard the call

To serve their country

With Pride


Over the Land and

Over the Sea

They went


Fearlessly,

They faced

The enemy


They fought on different

Continents in different

Countries


Their wars were not the same

But their hearts

Shared the same vision


The vision is

That all men can be

Free


Let us not

Take that

Freedom lightly


Let us

Preserve it with

All that we are


America!

The Land of the Free

The home of the Brave


Lord, Please

Let us remain

Free


I wrote this poem in memory of my father, Russell L. Sisung, my brother, Russell A. Sisung and my brother-in-law, Timothy Yates. May their service, and the service of all the others, never be forgotten.

Blessings,

Sharron

3 comments:

Sharron Long said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rhausafus said...

Hi, I ran across your blog because of the name Russell Sisung. I was in the Navy from 1970 through 1974, and worked for Lt. Russell Sisung on the USS Ranger. Is this your brother?

Best regards,
Bob

Sharron Long said...

You know, I'm not positive and all who would have known have passed on. That sure was the time he served though! I'll bet it was him :)