Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Homemade laundry soap, dish soap and fabric softener

Ok, so I've tried some of the recipes floating around the internet for homemade laundry soap, dish soap and fabric softener.  I will report on the success I've found and share the recipes I've used.

First, the homemade laundry soap seems to be a success.

I used one whole bar of soap -- Yardley's Lavender Bar Soap.  I got it at Wal-Mart for 97 cents.  I purchased a 5 gallon bucket with a lid for about $3.  The Borax, (not boric acid), and washing soda, (not baking soda), are found on the aisle with the laundry products and are both less than $3 for a good sized box.

Homemade Laundry Soap

Shave, grate or otherwise break up 1 bar of soap into 4 cups of water.  Heat it over medium heat or so until the soap melts.  Make sure it is all the way melted.  I tried to rush things and ended up with lumps of soap I had to pick out of my bucket.

Add, stirring till dissolved

1 cup washing soda
1 cup borax

Remove the soap mixture from the heat.  Pour and 3 gallons of warm water into the bucket.  Add the soap mixture and stir it with a long spoon.  Let it rest overnight, then stir it to mix it uniformly.

To use:  Add 2/3 cup of the jelly-like soap to a regular washer for a normal sized load.

UPDATE 1-18-12:  My friend uses 1 bar Fels Naptha soap and 1 bar normal soap and 3 cups each of borax and washing soda.  It makes a nearly solid gel.  I've done this variation with 2 cups of the borax and washing soda and it is still quite stiff.  I'm still experimenting, but it appears that anything between these two extremes will work.

Also, no laundry booster is needed with these, just add 1/2 cup more of the finished soap!

Homemade Fabric Softener

This product works in a pinch, but I wouldn't recommend it for continuous use.  After about 1 1/2 months of using it, my clothes aren't in as nice condition as they were before I started using it.  However, when money is super tight, this only cost a little over a dollar for a gallon.  I go through a little less than a gallon a week.

I used Suave Naturals Conditioner, which I purchased at Wal-Mart for 97 cents, and plain white vinegar, which was only a couple of dollars for a gallon bottle.  I used a well-rinsed used milk jug to keep it in.

In a gallon bottle combine

16 to 18 ounces hair conditioner
3 cups vinegar
6 cups water

I usually add the conditioner and the vinegar together and mix them well by shaking the bottle vigorously.  Then I add the rest of the water.  Be sure and give the bottle a good shake before each use.  Use as any non-concentrated laundry sofener.

UPDATE 12-12-11
My friend has been using this formula for quite a while and had different results than I did.  She is using Herbal Essence conditioner and has had great results.  I wanted to report that.

UPDATE 1-18-12
I've been using a different brand of conditioner and this works quite nicely!  Just experiment till you find one that suits you.

Homemade Automatic Dish Soap

Again, this was less than satisfactory, but when in a pinch and the ingredients are around, it will work.

Combine equal parts baking soda and borax.  Fill both cups of an automatic dishwasher, and wash as normal.

UPDATE 12-12-11
I have another friend who has been doing this.  Her recipe is slightly different and she reports great results.  She's been using equal parts of washing soda (NOT baking soda!) and borax.  For the rinse agent, she's been using white vinegar and having very good results.

I, also, use white vinegar for the rinse agent with good results.

UPDATE 1-18-12
The variation with the washing soda is better than the baking soda one, but it still leaves a film on glasses.  If you're not washing glasses, then this would be a good mix.  However, we have glass-glasses at our house now, and it isn't satisfactory!

No comments: