Sunday, September 11, 2011

Pecan Pie Bars -- Gluten, sugar and egg free

I made these about a year ago*, and they were sooooo good.  We took them to a volleyball game, and everyone with us gobbled them down.  No one even knew they were "special" -- free of wheat, gluten, dairy, eggs, soy and sugar!


*This is not the exact recipe I used at that time.  I just typed this out, so I can try it again soon.  I'll update (probably remove this note) after I do them again.


Pecan Pie Bars
Makes about 20 bars


In a large bowl with a pastry blender or with a fork, mix until crumbly


1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup lard
2/3 cup fructose
2 cups flour mix 
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon sea salt


Press the dough into the bottom of a 9"x13"x2" baking pan.  Bake the crust at 350F for about 10 minutes or until the surface is somewhat dry.  Allow it to cool while mixing the remaining ingredients.


In another bowl combine


3 tablespoons ground flax seeds mixed with 2/3 cup warm water
2/3 cup fructose
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup corn syrup (or agave or honey)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt


Mix the ingredients until they are combined.  Add and stir until they are combined


1 1/2 cup pecans (or walnuts)


Carefully pour the mixture over the baked crust.  Spread the gooey filling over the crust, arranging the nuts as necessary.  Bake it at 350F for about 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 275F and continue to bake for about another 20 minutes.  It should be soft-set in the middle when it is done.  Cool it and cut it into bars when finished.  Enjoy!


Update 9-13-11:
I made these last night.  For the flour I used equal amounts of cornmeal, cornstarch and shredded coconut.  I didn't have any butter so I used coconut oil.  I don't think I would recommend coconut oil unless your climate is below 72F because that is when coconut oil becomes liquid.  Right now, here in Oklahoma, it is always above 72F, so my bars came out a bit greasy.  Also, we served them right out of the oven, and they were a bit gooey because the crust had not set up yet.  Later, I checked and they were set up.  I think next time I do this I'll add Knox to both the crust and the filling.  It is definitely yummy with the coconut!

No comments: