Friday, September 09, 2011

Leftover Thanksgiving Turkey Casserole

Hi y'all!

I know it is early, but we were given a Turkey.  I fixed it yesterday with all the "trimmings," so now I have leftovers.  Even on gluten free and allergy restricted diets we wonder what to do with leftovers, don't we?  Well, this recipe is an easy casserole that uses leftover "Thanksgiving" fare.  it is suitable for allergy diets and free of soy, wheat, gluten, dairy, eggs and sugar.



Leftover Thanksgiving Turkey Casserole
Serves 4

This one is easy, and I'm just going to give general approximations because one never knows how many leftovers one is going to have.  My premise is that there will be leftover mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, veggies of some sort and turkey.  My family doesn't care for cranberry sauce, so it isn't in here.  I've seen some renditions of this basic dish that put leftover cranberry sauce on the top.  If I were doing it, I would put it on the side, as a condiment.

First, grease a 9"x13"x2 in baking dish.  Put about

2/3 cup gravy

 into the dish and spread it evenly across the bottom.  Spread evenly over the gravy about

2 to 3 cups turkey, cut into bite sized pieces
2 to 4 cups veggies* (green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, etc.)

*The reason for the range is the size difference of the veggies.  Less for green beans and carrots, more for broccoli and cauliflower.  If there are no leftover veggies, a bag of frozen ones will do.

Put another layer of about

1 to 1 1/2 cups gravy (this link goes to my recipe for Gluten Free Giblet Gravy)

spreading it evenly over the turkey and veggies.  Continue to layer

2 to 3 cups stuffing (this link goes to my recipe for Cornbread Stuffing)
2 to 3 cups mashed potatoes

Sprinkle the top with

1/2 teaspoon parsley or basil

Bake the casserole for about 30-45 minutes at 350F.  Enjoy!


I just realized I've never given instructions on gravy making for gluten free diets.  I'll do that in another post and link it back here.

No comments: