Monday, March 05, 2007

Candida, Fibromyalgia (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or CFS) and Allergies

Please note: I am not a physician. I am simply a lay person who has experience in this area and am sharing my results. Please don’t take my word as medical advice.

Is candida real?
There is much debate in the medical community about whether or not candida really exists as a common problem in our society, or it is simply restricted to localized infections (such as jock itch, vaginal yeast infections, toenail fungus, dandruff and athletes foot,) and only a genuine condition for those suffering from AIDS. My personal experience and study tells me differently.

My experience.
I spent many years suffering with a variety of complaints from allergies to Irritable Bowel Syndrome to fibromyalgia (chronic fatigue syndrome or CFS.) I underwent a rigorous candida treatment, essentially following Dr. Robert Atkins plan as outlined in his book “Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution,” c1992, 1999, guided by my Naturopathic Physician. I cannot say that all of my troubles went away after treatment, but I can say that they got significantly better! Just looking at my before and now pictures says volumes about my internal health! At the time of the second photo (purple blouse) my candida and fibromyalgia symptoms were raging. I was suffering with migraine headaches almost daily and my cravings were totally out of control. As of June, 2003, I have not had a migraine for over 2 full years!

Dr. Atkins candida restrictions.
The restrictions necessary for one following the candida protocols that Dr. Atkins outlined are extremely difficult. A person suffering from candida must undergo an intense treatment period where the already restricted low carb diet is restricted even further. A person with candida may not have anything yeasty, moldy or fermented. This includes cheeses, vinegar, yeasty foods like bread, soy sauce, condiments, mushrooms and the like. While that is the plan I followed for the duration of my treatment -- 10 months during 2001 to 2002 -- it is not necessarily the way I would suggest everyone treat candida. Since that time I have studied and experienced much, and I would like to share some of that research and experience with you.

Can the Water Cure and Salt Cure help?
A good while into my treatment plan, I learned about the Water Cure and the Salt Cure. I added these into my plan and saw dramatic results immediately. One of the foremost was that my seasonal allergies disappeared within just a few days. My best friend has been following the Water Cure and the Salt Cure with dramatic results in lowering her high blood pressure, and her candida is nearly in remission.

In remission?
Yes, it is my opinion that a candida infection is much like any serious immune disorder -- it can go in and out of remission. There may be times when a person who has recovered from candida will have a flare.

How can I know if I’m having a candida flare?
The simplest way I’ve found is by the spittle test, which is described here. (I do not necessarily agree with the viewpoints on this website, but it is a valid test, nevertheless!) The spittle test has helped me to monitor my status without any outside intervention.

How should I be eating?
There is actually a low carb plan that seems to be specifically designed with candida sufferers in mind, even if that wasn’t their intention! The Go-Diet is a low carb plan that emphasizes the use of kefir and yogurt. They also have a page specifically for candida sufferers. They suggest that by simply adding a clove of garlic, a tablespoon of coconut -- I believe coconut oil is a good choice as well, and kefir to your diet, you should be able to control candida. Another resource that has been extremely valuable to me has been The Weston A. Price Foundation. Especially noteworthy are the sections on fats and the “Nasty, Brutish, Short” article.

What are the basics of candida treatment?
It is my opinion, as someone who has been through the healing process of candida, that a combination of the Water Cure and Salt Cure and The Go-Diet following their protocols -- emphasizing kefir, especially -- along with a few other dietary modifications, should allow a person to hopefully achieve and at least remain in remission with candida.

Dietary modifications?
1. Avoid nitrates and nitrites. It has been my experience with candida and my overall health, that I feel much better when I avoid nitrates and nitrites. There is evidence that suggests these are cancer-causing agents common in the American diet. There is also research that seems to indicate they are a factor in diabetes. At any rate, I just know I feel better when I avoid them! It seems many of my allergy symptoms -- bloating, sleeplessness and rashes -- mysteriously disappear when I eliminate them from my diet! (Not so mysterious, eh?)
Where are nitrates and nitrites found? They are common ingredients in most processed meats -- including bacon and luncheon meat. Many of these foods can be purchased without the additives at most local health food stores. If you have a Trader Joes nearby, you are fortunate indeed! They carry nitrate / nitrite free bacon, organic cheeses, organic sour cream and the highest quality nuts I’ve found!
2. Add coconut products, particularly coconut oil, into the diet. Coconut contains many properties that appear to aid the healing process with candida. The Go-Diet’s candida page discusses whole coconut, but cooking with coconut oil seems to have terrific properties and may be easier to add into the diet, especially if you have a fussy eater who won’t eat shredded coconut. The expeller pressed coconut oil seems offer many of the health advantages of the extra virgin coconut oil, without the taste. Adding coconut milk into your cooking will add the healthful properties as well. Just substitute it anytime you need milk or cream in a recipe. It is especially useful in baked goods.
3. Discover and eliminate food allergies. These can be tricky, but essential, especially if you are a fibromyalgia (CFS) sufferer. Folks with fibromyalgia (CFS) have constant pain that gets worse on occasion. There are 18 trigger points associated with fibromyalgia (CFS.) (I don’t necessarily agree or disagree with the other items on this site, but the picture is very helpful!) My experience with fibromyalgia (CFS) was that once I discovered and eliminated my food allergies, my symptoms nearly disappeared!

How can I track food allergies?
I used a chart method to track my allergies. I weighed daily -- bloating is a very common symptom. I didn’t actually “journal” my food per se, but I did keep track of what caused my symptoms: Headache, foggy brain, excruciating pain -- especially in the extremities, fatigue, moodiness and bloating. Once I noticed a pattern, I eliminated that food for 10 days to two weeks. I then reintroduced the food and observed. In most cases, I had very noticeable reactions. Some were extreme. Later I learned how to test for and treat my allergies.

Note: Nightshades are a very common allergen. The nightshade family of plants includes: Tomatoes, potatoes, paprika, peppers of all varieties (bell, jalapeno, etc.,) and eggplant. Some folks vastly improve their symptoms simply by eliminating these foods from their diet!

4. Eat whole foods as much as possible. The Weston A. Price Foundation has done much research on this subject. Please especially note the section on fats and the article, “Nasty, Brutish, Short.”

No comments: