Monday, March 05, 2007

What's the big deal about kefir?

Please note: I am not a physician. I am simply a person who has used this product and is sharing my results. Please don’t take my word as medical advice.

Kefir is an amazing food product that I consider to be essential for those who are fighting candida infections and anyone interested in improving their overall health.

What is kefir?
Kefir is a drink, rather like yogurt, that is produced by kefir grains. Kefir grains are not grains in the same sense that wheat, oat and corn are grains. They are living organism that digest milk to produce kefir. This happens on the same principle as yogurt, but the grains are actually a separate living thing from the finished product, unlike yogurt. The grains look rather like cottage cheese and are like a gummy worm in texture.

Kefir probiotics.
Apparently, kefir has the same probiotic mix (flora) that a healthy human gut does. When that delicate balance gets out of whack, as with candida and other intestinal disorders, kefir can go a long way towards putting that balance back the way it was intended. Candida sufferers, in my opinion and experience, may consume kefir freely! It helps re-establish the missing elements and put the candida beasties back in their place.

Other health benefits from kefir.
Along the way my family and friends have noticed other benefits from consuming kefir. A relative of mine had bleeding gums that have since cleared up since starting on kefir. I have used it topically to help soothe a rash. I use kefir as a deep conditioning treatment for my hair and skin. I put some warmed kefir on my hair and let it rest there while I’m showering, then at the last I wash and condition my hair as usual. It seems to strip out any chemicals, like from swimming or build up, and leaves my hair and skin glowing!

My favorite kefir recipe is a kefir smoothy. I can even get my kefir-hating husband to drink this! Yummy!

Kefir cream cheese.
Kefir can also be made into a delicious cream cheese spread. Simply line a colander (plastic preferred) with a thin, non-terry towel over a large bowl. Pour the kefir into the towel-lined colander and cover the top with another towel or plate to keep debris from getting into it. Allow it to drain, refrigerated, until it is quite thick. Then you can whip the strained kefir in a mixing bowl with your favorite sweetener. You may reserve* the whey or discard it.

*Note: The whey from cream cheese making can be used as a chemical stripper for your hair and toner for your skin. It doesn’t act as a deep conditioner as the whole kefir does, though.

What about the carbs? Low Carb Luxury does a good job of explaining the reality of the carb situation. Essentially, one cup of yogurt, kefir or buttermilk contains only 4 grams of carbs, so drink up!

Other kefir resources. Dom’s Kefir In-Site Dom is probably the leading authority on kefir, at least as far as I am concerned! Much of what I have learned about kefir has come from him and subsequently my own experience.

Please note: Due to my injury, I have not been able to make any kefir for quite some time, and am thus, unable to share grains. I will post in my blog if I am able to get it up and running again and have extras to share.

No comments: