Monday, March 05, 2007

Self-Test for Allergies and Sensitivities

Please note: I am not a physician. I am simply a lay person who has used this technique and am sharing my results. Please don’t take my word as medical advice.


What is an Allergy / Sensitivity Self-Test?
I understand that there are similar things on the Internet to the test I'm going to tell you about, but it is my Naturopathic Physician (ND) who taught me how to do this self-test for allergies.

How can a self-test for allergies / sensitivities be valid?
It is based upon the principle that allergies are actually a neurological phenomenon rather than organic. Let that sink in a moment. It is a complete paradigm shift.

Now, based upon that premise, you can do a "muscle test" to determine sensitivities. Basically, what you are doing is forming a circuit with your body. The allergen / sensitivity "breaks" the circuit, causing weakness. An electronic form of this testing is available and very, very close to FDA approval, I understand. It is called Vega testing.

Two person test method: First do a “neutral test” to determine how much pressure can be applied. Extend one arm to shoulder level. Another person then pushes down on your wrist. It is very important to do it at the wrist -- that is where the “circuit” is. After determining the amount of pressure to apply, then hold the item to be tested up against your abdomen. Extend the opposite arm to shoulder level and have the other person pushes in a downward motion on your wrist. If using the same amount of pressure, you can continue to hold your arm up, then you aren't reactive to it. If your arm goes down, you are.

One person test method: To do it to yourself, first do a “neutral test” to determine how much pressure you can apply. Extend the index finger of the hand that will be used to test strength or weakness and press down on the joint at the end of your finger. Be sure and press at the joint to form a circuit. After determining how much pressure to apply, hold the test item in one hand, then extend the index finger of the OPPOSITE hand -- this is very important! If you don’t use the opposite hand, you won't make a circuit and you'll have a false test! Using the hand holding the item, push on the last joint of your finger near your fingernail of the opposites hand in a downward motion. If you can stay strong, you aren't sensitive to the item. If you are weak with the item, then you are sensitive to it.

What if the item is very large and can’t be held in the hand? I’ve found that I can simply put my hand on the item and have someone press on my opposite arm effectively. This also works for the one person test. It seems that the item simply needs to be in your personal space for it to cause the circuit to break if it is a problem.

What about non-food allergies? This test works for everything I’ve ever tried it with! I’ve tested myself with household chemicals, potting soil, medications, cat hair and numerous other items.

Does this always mean I’m allergic to an item? No, this test doesn’t necessarily mean you are allergic to an item. Sometimes, I’ve found it just means my body doesn’t “want” whatever at the time. For instance, I’m not allergic to the natural pain medication I take, but there are times my body doesn’t want it. If I’m uncertain as to whether or not I really need it, I’ll test myself. Often on those occasions, I’ll test weak with it. It isn’t an allergy, it’s just a “not now.” Also, if your system is weakened for some reason, you may test allergic to something that isn’t normally an allergen for you. I have had this happen with several things when I’ve not been feeling well.

1 comment:

Sharron Long said...

I'm not sure if I've posted about the 2nd type of muscle testing I've come across in the last year or so. It is very simple -- you touch the item then put your middle finger over the first joint of your first finger (pointer) and apply pressure. If it is weak, then the test shows sensitivity. If it is strong, then not.

I can lay my hand on someone and even think the item and get a good test most times. I understand I'm particularly gifted at this technique, but I know others who can do the same.

I've discovered that a person's handed-ness can also be a factor in testing. Always test with their dominant hand or you with yours.